|Written by:||Robert Cochran|
|Directed by:||Davis Guggenheim|
|Original airdate:||February 12, 2002|
Cofell has a heart attack and dies, but Jack extracts Kim and Teri's location from Kevin Carroll. Concerned about the possibility of another mole, Nina and Tony agree not to tell Alberta Green anything. When Eli Stram comes to kill them on orders from Andre Drazen, Teri wrestles his gun away and shoots him. She fires a second shot to suggest a second death and she and Kim hide Eli's body.
Episode guide Edit
Right now, terrorists are plotting to assassinate a presidential candidate. My wife and daughter have been kidnapped, and people that I work with may be involved in both. I’m federal agent Jack Bauer. This is the longest day of my life.
- Senator David Palmer says that his son is accused of murder, and the story is too big to hide. Mike Novick tells him to control when and how the story comes out. Carl Webb tells Sherry Palmer that he is taking care of the evidence against Keith, but won't tell her how.
- Ira Gaines is asked by Andre Drazen why the Palmer situation has not been taken care of, as he and his brother are very disappointed.
- Jack tells Nina Myers that before he can help Teri he needs to get through the police. Nina tells him that Alberta Green is being brought in to run things. Green arrives, and the two share a frosty welcome.
- Jack Bauer speak to Teri and Kim. Kim asks who is behind everything, and Jack says he will find out but wants to make sure they get home safely. Tony then tells Jack that he found the name Ted Cofell on Jamey's computer. Cofell gets into his limousine, with Jack driving it.
The following takes place between 10:00am and 11:00am, on the day of the California Presidential Primary.
Alberta Green inspects the bullpen where Tony Almeida and Nina Myers are working. She tells them of the photographer, Martin Belkin and tells Tony to check with Secret Service. Nina eyes her as she walks off to her aide.
Jack is driving Ted Cofell in his limousine when he receives a call. A man named Kevin tells him to go to a parking garage at the corner of Nordhoff and Willingham. When his driver doesn't respond, Ted notices that he isn't Mark. Jack locks the doors and Cofell prepares to make a cell phone call. Jack pulls over and points the gun at him and takes the cellphone. He gets in the back seat and introduces himself after slapping Cofell when he mistakes him for a common criminal.
Cofell denies any involvement with Gaines and claims to just be a businessman riding around in a bullet-proof limousine. Jack asks what does he need protection from, and Cofell answers, "People like you!" Jack exits and checks Cofell's briefcase, with papers and medication. He phones Nina.
Nina receives Jack's call and clears the line. Jack tells her he has Cofell hostage and Nina criticizes him for going out on the limb every time she talks to him. He asks her to put together an interrogation profile in 5 minutes.
Kim Bauer and Teri Bauer sit in the compound, still hostages. Rick Allen comes in and apologizes for the phone incident. Teri thanks him but he asks for no information and leaves. Kim watches him outside as Eli Stram beats him. She protests inside and hugs Teri, who looks fearfully at the windows.
Nina is gathering information on Cofell when Alberta shows up. She hurriedly minimized the pages as Alberta questions the anomaly in first class of Flight 221. Jack suddenly calls and Nina stalls because Alberta is there. Hiding the fact that she was speaking to Jack, Nina tells Alberta that Bill Warner from the Bureau was calling. Alberta asks to speak with him, but Tony distracts her with information about the Balkans. Nina Myers gives information on Ted Cofell including that he got into college at age 16 and is the oldest of three.
Jack exits the limo and puts on a tough persona for Cofell. He rolls up his sleeves and removes his jacket as Cofell looks on in fear.
10:13:04... 10:13:05... 10:13:06...
Jack enters the limo and removes his glasses. He asks Cofell about Greg Penticoff, Alan York and David Palmer. Cofell is implicated and claims not to know anything. When Jack notices his hands are sweating, Cofell says he is scared. Jack asks about the man at the parking garage, and Cofell gives the name Kevin Carroll. Jack phones Nina and tells her to look Carroll up.
Jack is silent for a second then lurches forward towards Cofell. He takes a cloth from the water tub and puts it on the floor, then pours water on it. As Cofell looks on, Jack casually tells him about the Russian Gulag in Siberia, and how the torturers there had to make do with limited equipment. Jack says he can push the towel down his throat and then rip it out after his stomach starts digesting it, resulting in a long, torturous death. Terrified, Cofell shows Jack a picture of his own wife and two children, and says that if he knew something about his family, he would tell him.
Andre Drazen's car pulls up to the compound and is greeted by Ira Gaines. Drazen is disappointed about Palmer being alive and tells Ira that if he doesn't see a substantial improvement in the next hour then he will ask Cofell to empty the accounts. Andre tells him about the contingency plan and that it doesn't involve Gaines. He gives them thirty minutes to find Bauer. As Gaines storms off, Andre calls a contact and they converse in Serbian.
David Palmer and Sherry Palmer are at Grant Elementary School in the Valley, talking to the principal. Mike Novick calls David over with a call from Carl Webb, who is phoning from his building. Carl tells David to pay no attention to Frank Ames, calling him an "old lady". David threatens Carl with information about his past if he doesn't come to meet with him in person. Carl says he'll be there by eleven.
Jack makes another call to Nina for information on Kevin Carroll, who says there are six, and one does in fact work for a machine tools company. Nina suggests they might have made a mistake, but Jack won't hear of it, and goes to see Carroll with Cofell still hostage in the back.
10:25:48... 10:25:49... 10:25:50...
In the storage room where Kim and Teri are being held, Teri experiences abdominal pains. Kim is about to go get someone but Teri protests. Teri tells Kim that they have to be strong and wait for Jack. They embrace.
Jack continues to head towards the parking garage and lets his eyes off on Cofell, who removes a Microtech Halo blade from a seat in the car. He hides the knife by his legs and Jack drives on.
Back at the school, David signs a basketball for a school worker as Sherry is testing the food. She says it is better than what she and David used to eat, prompting the principal to ask if they were in the same elementary school. Sherry makes her excuses and they leave. In the kitchen, they discuss her call to Carl and she tells David that she asked him to stop Maureen Kingsley. She also says that Carl would take care of the evidence against Keith. Because she wasn't sure what he meant, she didn't tell David. David kisses her and leaves with Mike.
Jack and Cofell arrive at the parking lot. Jack enters the back when Cofell attacks him with the concealed knife. Jack breaks his wrist and stows away the knife. Cofell snarls at him in Serbian and Jack is astounded. He kicks and then grabs him by the throat, asking if he is from Belgrade. With a thick Serbian accent, Ted tells him that he will pay, and deserves everything that is happening to him. Jack punches him in the heart, causing Cofell to hyperventilate. Jack shows him the medicine and tries to force-feed it to him before Cofell dies of his heart condition. Cofell spits it out and dies. Jack frantically tries to apply CPR but it is too late.
10:37:02... 10:37:03... 10:37:04...
Nina comforts Jack over the phone and he tells her that the whole situation is disturbing. He glances at the dead Cofell, then tells her to check his background and his assignment files from Operation Nightfall. Jack hangs up then hears tires squealing in the distance. He sets Cofell up to look as if he was alive.
Tony comes over to Nina and hands her some papers. He then tells her that Alberta Green knows they are working for Jack and asks if they should come clean to her. Nina begrudges this, saying that if Alberta called Division, more people could be involved. She also mentions the possibility of another mole like Jamey coming in.
Back at Ira Gaines' compound, Kim is dozing off on the hay when Teri wakes her. Rick, visibly beaten up, comes in and hands them a gun. Kim hesitates to take it, but Teri finally does. Se tells Kim that the people are coming and that they will kill them this time. As Rick walks away, Kim starts shaking her head in disbelief and moaning. Teri goes to her and shapes her up and tells her not to give up.
A car screeches down towards Cofell's limousine. Jack watches as a man gets out, and it is revealed to be Kevin Carroll, the man he believed to be Alan York. Carroll enters the limo and after he closes the door, Jack puts on the locks. Kevin is surprised to see Jack and then notices that Cofell is dead. Jack asks him about Teri, but he refuses to talk. Kevin takes out his gun and shoots at Jack, but since the divider glass is bullet-proof, Jack doesn't even flinch. Jack then starts the limousine and starts swerving around the parking lot until he finally hit the brakes and Carroll is knocked unconscious.
10:48:07... 10:48:08... 10:48:09...
Jack has just tied Kevin up in his car as he regains consciousness. As Jack gets in the car with him, he asks again about his family. Kevin tells him that he needs him to find them. Finally, they make a deal that if Kevin leads Jack to his family and if they are safe, then he will be let free.
At Gaines' compound, Andre tells him that his half hour is up and that he should kill Teri and Kim since their contingency doesn't involve them. Ira calls Eli Stram and sends him to make the final preparations with the drivers and to kill Teri and Kim.
David is talking to the principal again, and refers Mike to a question as he sees Carl waiting. They talk about Ferragamo being murdered, and Carl denies it when David asks. He tells David about the price of power, but David says that he won't permit anyone to be hurt in the name of his campaign. Carl retorts and tells David about the powerful people behind everything they're doing, and finishes saying that they have both always worked "for them". David replies, "Not me," and leaves Carl. As he walks away, he makes a phone call and asks for Ferragamo's phone number.
As Teri and Kim are waiting, Eli comes inside. Teri hides the gun as he tells them that he will make it fast. As he approaches them, she takes it out and points it at his face. He pulls at her and they start to struggle. When he takes out his gun, Kim grabs him and they fall on the ground. He drops his gun and Teri picks it up and he wrestles with Kim. When Eli draws a switchblade to kill Kim, Teri shoots him in the back and he rolls over dead. Teri shoots him a second time to make it appear as he had killed Kim and herself.
Split screen: Teri and Kim hide Eli's body. Gaines and Drazen wait for confirmation from Eli. David Palmer is on the phone.
Kevin tells Jack to turn left and Jack asks where they are headed. Kevin simply tells him that he is taking him to his family.
Episode credits Edit
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer
- Leslie Hope as Teri Bauer
- Sarah Clarke as Nina Myers
- Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer
- and Dennis Haysbert as Senator David Palmer
Guest starring Edit
- Michael Massee as Ira Gaines
- Tamara Tunie as Alberta Green
- Željko Ivanek as Andre Drazen
- Daniel Bess as Rick Allen
- Jude Ciccolella as Mike Novick
- Zach Grenier as Carl Webb
- Silas Weir Mitchell as Eli Stram
- Currie Graham as Ted Cofell
Special guest stars Edit
- Jenny Gago as Maria Canosa
- Greg Hartigan as Agent Jimmy Kelly
- Ryan Moore as Kevin
- Emile Williams as Agent Berkin
Production staff Edit
Background information and notes Edit
Story and script Edit
- The opening narration has been changed for the second time.
- In this episode, David Palmer implies that Operation Nightfall was during the summer two years ago. In subsequent episodes, it is stated to be two years before the present day.
- This marks the first time that another main character other than Jack Bauer kills on-screen.
Filming locations Edit
- See all: Season 1 filming locations
- The area Jack parks Cofell's limo is the Sepulveda Dam on the Los Angeles River in the San Fernando Valley, frequently used as a filming location in numerous Hollywood productions. 24 reused the dam for the Union Conduit Dam in Season 4 and as Abu Fayed's landing site in Season 6.
- The Nordhoff garage scenes were filmed at the L.A. Center Studios complex in Downtown L.A., the same location used for Cofell's office in the previous episode.
Props and minutiae Edit
- Ted Cofell's "bulletproof limousine" is a 1995 Lincoln Town Car Stretch.
- Kevin Carroll's car is a green 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis.
- The guards at Ira Gaines' compound are seen carrying AK-47 imitations and, prominently, an M16 rifle.
- The Microtech HALO, an automatic tactical knife, is identified by name as the weapon Cofell tries to use on Jack Bauer.
- Kevin Carroll's sidearm is a Glock 17 pistol. Jack presumably takes it from him after Carroll is knocked unconscious by his erratic driving.
- The gun Rick Allen gives to Teri Bauer is Dan's Smith & Wesson 5904, last seen in "3:00am-4:00am" when Dan almost used it to kill Janet York.
- Eli Stram brandishes a Milano Stilleto knife while trying to kill Kim. Teri shoots him with his own Beretta 92FS and uses it for the next two episodes.
- The cue from the opening and finale of the episode, and various points throughout, appears on the 24: Original Television Soundtrack as Track 4, "Jack in the Limo." This cue is also featured in "Day 2: 9:00am-10:00am" when Jack meets up with Eddie Grant.
Errors and inconsistencies Edit
- When Jack is driving Kevin Carroll around the parking garage in the back of Ted Cofell's limo he can be seen driving pass Kevin's parked car. A few seconds later they show a wide shot of the parking garage with the limo driving down the center aisle and Kevin's car is no longer there.
- Rick Allen
- Tony Almeida
- Frank Ames (mentioned only)
- Jack Bauer
- Kim Bauer
- Teri Bauer
- Martin Belkin (mentioned only)
- Maria Canosa
- Kevin Carroll
- Courtney Cofell (photo only)
- Ted Cofell
- Theodore Cofell, Jr. (photo only)
- Andre Drazen
- Jamey Farrell (mentioned only)
- Kyle Farrell (mentioned only)
- George Ferragamo (mentioned only)
- Ira Gaines
- Alberta Green
- Krista Heldrun-Cofell (photo only)
- Maureen Kingsley (mentioned only)
- Mark (mentioned only)
- Jonathan Matijevich (mentioned only)
- Nina Myers
- Mike Novick
- David Palmer
- Keith Palmer (mentioned only)
- Sherry Palmer
- Greg Penticoff (mentioned only)
- Milo Pressman
- Eli Stram
- Bill Warner (mentioned only)
- Carl Webb
- Alan York (mentioned only)
- Belgrade (mentioned only)
- Century City (mentioned only)
- CTU Los Angeles building
- Croatia (mentioned only)
- Gaines compound
- Germany (mentioned only)
- Grant Street Elementary School
- Gulag (mentioned only)
- Kosovo (mentioned only)
- Latham Group building
- Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County
- Los Angeles International Airport (mentioned only)
- Macedonia (mentioned only)
- Nordhoff (mentioned only)
- Nordhoff garage (first appearance)
- North America
- North Hollywood
- San Fernando Valley
- Siberia (mentioned only)
- United States of America
- Willingham (mentioned only)
- Organizations and titles
See also Edit
- 10:00am-11:00am (disambiguation)