|Birthdate:||April 14, 1961|
|Birthplace:||Glasgow, Scotland, UK|
- "Something like 24 is enjoyable for an actor for entirely different reasons[.] What are you supposed to say? That it’s not right to enjoy it? Why is that not right? Something like 24 is incredibly popular. Thirty to 40 million people watched it in the States. You have to take that. I don’t have any snobbery about that."
- — Robert Carlyle on why he chose to be in 24: Redemption
Biography and career Edit
Robert Carlyle was born in Maryhill, Glasgow, in Scotland. His parents were Elizabeth, a bus company employee, and Joseph Carlyle, a painter and decorator. When Carlyle was four years old, his mother left and he was brought up by his father. Carlyle left school when he was 16 years old, and started working for his father. However, he continued his education by attending night classes at Cardonald College in Glasgow.
When Carlyle was 21, he read Arthur Miller's The Crucible, which inspired him to pursue a career in acting. He became involved in drama at the Glasgow Arts Centre, and eventually graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. In 1991, he and four friends founded a theatre company, Raindog.
In the early 90's, Carlyle also started his career in TV, appearing in shows like Taggart and The Bill. He has also appeared in TV shows like Screenplay, 99-1, and Hamish MacBeth. However, Carlyle has focused his career more on films. Some of the films in which he has starred are Trainspotting, The Full Monty, Ravenous, The Beach, Eragon, and 28 Weeks Later.
Carlyle is a close friend of fellow 24 alum Tommy Flanagan, to whom he recommended trying acting. They also worked together in the 1999 film Plunkett & Macleane. He also worked with Kiefer Sutherland and Greg Ellis in the war drama To End All Wars after playing a villain in the James Bond film The World is Not Enough (with Colin Salmon).
In recent years, Carlyle has starred in the shows SGU Stargate Universe (2009-2011) and Once Upon a Time (2011-present), along with Lana Parrilla.
Selected filmography Edit
- T2 Trainspotting (2017)
- Barney Thomson (2015)
- California Solo (2012)
- The Tournament (2009)
- 28 Weeks Later (2007)
- The 51st State (2001)
- The World is Not Enough (1999)
- Plunkett & Macleane (1999)
- The Full Monty (1997)
- Trainspotting (1996)
- Once Upon a Time (2011-present)
- SGU Stargate Universe (2009-2011)
- The Last Enemy (2008)
- Hamish Macbeth (1995-1997)
- Cracker (1994)
- The Bill (1991)
- Taggart (1990)