Sangala, a democratic African nation with the capital city of Mali Baso, was the home country of Iké Dubaku and Benjamin Juma. The military coup directed by Juma and his alliance with Jonas Hodges instigated the events of Redemption and Day 7.
Before Redemption Edit
General Benjamin Juma attempted a military-coup in Sangala for the purpose of appointing himself ruler of the country, thus instigating a genocide in which tens of thousands of civilians were slaughtered. He was disarmed by the United States, however, and the United Nations was appointed to keep tabs on him.
Later, he was contacted by American businessman Jonas Hodges, who wanted to use Sangala as a haven in which to secretly develop a biological nerve agent. Juma helped Hodges in return for his support in another power grab. After developing the pathogen, Juma tested it on a remote Sangalan village, whose citizens died after suffering dementia and paralysis. He covered up the evidence by firebombing the village, and the UN dismissed rumors of a bioweapon.
In Sangala, the rebel general Benjamin Juma used an army of brainwashed young boys to stage a military coup. His attack was not predicted by officials in the United States because he had secretly purchased weapons from arms supplier Jonas Hodges through his company Starkwood.
Jack Bauer was present there because he had fled a federal subpoena. Jack assisted his good friend Carl Benton with humanitarian work at the Okavango School, until they and others were embroiled in Juma's coup. Fourteen Sangalan children left with Jack from the American embassy as Juma's coup began.
After Redemption Edit
Juma's coup was successful, where for the next few months, he had at least 200,000 killed in his "ethnic cleansing", which was apparently the worst genocide in African history since Rwanda.
Day 7 Edit
During Day 7, former Prime Minister of Sangala, Ule Matobo, visited President of the United States Allison Taylor to coordinate the intervention of American forces in his country to stop Benjamin Juma's army. When Colonel Iké Dubaku gained control of the CIP device, he used it to convince Taylor of retreating her forces from Sangala.
After Jack Bauer, Tony Almeida, Bill Buchanan, and Renee Walker destroyed the CIP device and rescued Ule Matobo, President Taylor green-lighted the invasion. According to the reports she received there was little resistance to it.
When Benjamin Juma attacked the White House, he forced President Allison Taylor to read a live statement condemning the US invasion of Sangala. Juma and his men placed a flag of Sangala behind the President while she read it. The siege was ended several minutes later with the help of Bill Buchanan and Jack Bauer.
After 11:30pm, President Taylor received video footage retrieved from a laboratory in Sangala that showed some residents of a Sangalan village suffering the symptoms of biological weapon that Starkwood had developed there. The villagers exhibited the symptoms like dementia, paralysis, and convulsions.
Background information and notes Edit
- Sangala is a fictional country created by the 24 writers. Since Sangala observes Greenwich Mean Time, it is probably located in the western region of Africa, directly south of the United Kingdom. Judging by comments from the presidential staff about launching their attack from the sea, it can be presumed that it is a coastal country.
- The majority of filming scenes for Sangala took place around Cape Town, South Africa.
- The official languages of Sangala appear to be English and French.
- Logical candidates for the inspiration of the fictional Sangala could be Senegal, Ivory Coast/Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea. All are GMT-0 and all (except for Liberia) were Colonies, also these countries have troubled history and are politically unstable, much like Sangala.
- David Fury revealed in 24 Inside that he was responsible for naming the fictional country.
- The flag of Sangala resembles the flag of several African countries, combining stripes with the colors green, yellow, and red.
- Pre-recorded news footage of Sangala appears in "Day 7: 11:00pm-12:00am."