- "Jack Bauer is dead... but soon he'll become the most wanted man alive... The non-stop, action-packed fifth season begins."
- — Season 5 promotion
Season 5 of 24 debuted in the United States on Sunday, January 15, 2006 on Fox. The premiere was a 2 night, 4 hour event (January 15 and 16), and debuted in the United Kingdom on Sunday, February 12, 2006 on Sky One. In New Zealand, Episodes 14-24 were screened at approximately 11.00 pm for two hours, a timeslot that was occupied by repeat screenings. The show was moved from 8:30 pm Friday nights to 11:00 pm Saturday.
Season overview Edit
Eighteen months after faking his death, Jack Bauer is living under the alias Frank Flynn and renting a room from a single mother and her son. Soon after Former President David Palmer is assassinated, and a car bomb kills Michelle Dessler and leaves Tony Almeida in critical condition. Jack gets a frantic call for help from Chloe O'Brian and he realizes that the four people who know he is still alive are being targeted. Jack returns to CTU Los Angeles to figure out who is really behind the assassination of David Palmer, and uncovers a plot involving deadly nerve gas and people inside President Logan's administration. As Jack searches for the people involved and tries to stop the nerve gas from being released, he discovers that the conspiracy goes higher than anyone could have ever imagined.
Day 5 can be split into three acts:
- An assassin frames Jack for the murders of David Palmer and Michelle Dessler and the attempted murder of Tony Almeida, three of the only people who knew he was alive. This forces Jack to come out of hiding and return to L.A. to clear his name, just as a hostage situation at the Ontario Airport erupts. The main antagonists in this act are Conrad Haas, Walt Cummings, James Nathanson and Anton Beresch. (7:00am–11:00am)
- Jack discovers a conspiracy that allowed allowed the Russian separatists to acquire the highly lethal Sentox nerve gas. After the plan to bug the canisters fails, the separatists begin using the nerve gas in Los Angeles as retaliation for the US's allegiance with Russia, while Jack targets the conspirators who are racing to cover-up their plot. The main antagonists among the separatists for this act are Vladimir Bierko, Ivan Erwich, Ostroff and Collette Stenger. The main antagonists among the conspirators for this act are Walt Cummings and Christopher Henderson. (11:00am–10:00pm)
- Jack discovers just how high up the conspiracy goes, and fights for his life as he tries to protect the only evidence that can bring its mastermind to justice, while protecting the nation from the separatists' final stand. As the day ends, Jack re-encounters an old enemy. The main antagonists in this act are Charles Logan, Vladimir Bierko, Christopher Henderson, Graem Bauer and Cheng Zhi. (10:00pm–7:00am)
Major subplots Edit
- Jack reveals to everyone that his "death" at the end of Day 4 was faked, shocking his friends (in particular his daughter and lover). Jack rekindles his relationship with the latter. Meanwhile, Jack is forced to reunite and work with his old CTU mentor/boss, Christopher Henderson.
- The death of David Palmer has profound effect on Wayne Palmer, who allies with and befriends Jack as an investigator, as does the death of Michelle Dessler on Tony Almeida, who is vengeful of his wife's death.
- Los Angeles experiences a number of attacks by the Dawn Brigade and its Sentox, including one attack on CTU which results in the deaths of almost 60 employees, including major characters Lynn McGill and Edgar Stiles.
- Marital struggles between President Charles Logan and First Lady Martha Logan. Meanwhile, Martha, Mike Novick, Aaron Pierce, Wayne Palmer, and Evelyn Martin all come to terms with the true nature of Logan.
- CTU undergoes several power struggles: first between Bill Buchanan and an overseer, Lynn McGill; then, when CTU is taken over by Homeland Security.
- Vice President Hal Gardner shows up and challenges Logan's power.
- The introduction of Graem Bauer.
Impacts on future seasons Edit
- Jack comes out of hiding at the start of this season, but at the end of the season, he is kidnapped by Cheng Zhi and sent on a ship to China, where he remained for the 20 months leading to Day 6.
- The relationship built between Karen Hayes and Bill Buchanan, causing them to marry inbetween Days 5 and 6.
- The deaths of David Palmer, Michelle Dessler, Edgar Stiles and the apparent murder of Tony Almeida.
- The exposure and arrest of President Charles Logan.
- There are several characters involved in the Sentox nerve gas conspiracy who did not appear until later days (i.e. Anatoly Markov, Alan Wilson etc.).
- Specifically, Alan Wilson's involvement became the driving force for much of Day 7.
- The introduction of the lead conspirator, a man only known as Graem, later revealed to be Graem Bauer, Jack's brother.
- The introduction of Chloe's ex-husband Morris O'Brian, who becomes a full-time CTU agent by Day 6.
Season 5 had the highest audience ratings in the series. The show improved its overall audience by 14% over its fourth season and by 12 percent in the age 18-49 demographic, averaging a total audience of 13.8 millions, therefore ranking #24 for the 2005-2006 Nielsen TV Season. Even more important, "24" performed particularly well in the key age 18-49 demographic ranking #15 with an average rating of 5.7/13.
Due to the high ratings, Fox decided to re-air Season 5 on Fridays during the summer, showing two episodes per week. However, ratings for the repeated episodes were not as high as expected, so Fox discontinued them.
Along with high ratings, 24 Season 5 was successful at the Emmy's winning Outstanding Drama Series and Kiefer Sutherland winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer (24 episodes)
- Kim Raver as Audrey Raines (23 episodes)
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe O'Brian (24 episodes)
- Carlos Bernard as Tony Almeida (6 episodes)
- Gregory Itzin as President Charles Logan (23 episodes)
- James Morrison as Bill Buchanan (23 episodes)
- Roger Cross as Curtis Manning (19 episodes)
- Louis Lombardi as Edgar Stiles (13 episodes)
- and Jean Smart as First Lady Martha Logan (23 episodes)
Special guest stars Edit
- Sean Astin as Lynn McGill (4 episodes)
- William Devane as James Heller (3 episodes)
- Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer (2 episodes)
- Reiko Aylesworth as Michelle Dessler (1 episode)
Special guest appearance by Edit
Guest starring Edit
- Jude Ciccolella as Mike Novick (21 episodes)
- Glenn Morshower as Aaron Pierce (15 episodes)
- Jayne Atkinson as Karen Hayes (12 episodes)
- Julian Sands as Vladimir Bierko (11 episodes)
- Sandrine Holt as Evelyn Martin (10 episodes)
- Stephen Spinella as Miles Papazian (10 episodes)
- John Allen Nelson as Walt Cummings (7 episodes)
- DB Woodside as Wayne Palmer (7 episodes)
- Sean Astin as Lynn McGill (6 episodes)
- Connie Britton as Diane Huxley (6 episodes)
- Brady Corbet as Derek Huxley (6 episodes)
- Nick Jameson as President Yuri Suvarov (6 episodes)
- Jonah Lotan as Spenser Wolff (6 episodes)
- Mark Sheppard as Ivan Erwich (6 episodes)
- Ray Wise as Vice President Hal Gardner (6 episodes)
- Geraint Wyn Davies as James Nathanson (6 episodes)
- Kathleen Gati as First Lady Anya Suvarov (5 episodes)
- Kate Mara as Shari Rothenberg (5 episodes)
- Paul McCrane as Graem (5 episodes)
- Alex Kuznetsov as Ostroff (4 episodes)
- Stana Katic as Collette Stenger (3 episodes)
- Henry Ian Cusick as Theo Stoller (2 episodes)
- C. Thomas Howell as Barry Landes (2 episodes)
- Carlo Rota as Morris O'Brian (2 episodes)
- Tzi Ma as Cheng Zhi (1 episode)
- and Peter Weller as Christopher Henderson (11 episodes)
|Picture||Title||Number||Production Code||Original Airdate|
|Season 5 Prequel||Season 4 DVD|
|A year after the events of Day 4, Jack meets Chloe in a remote area of Chicago and learns that Chloe’s computer files were hacked and that someone else knows that he’s still alive. An unidentified man chases Jack, but Jack is able to escape. Then Day 5 begins...|
|"7:00am-8:00am"||97||5AFF01||January 15, 2006|
|Eighteen months after faking his death, Jack Bauer, who's assumed the name Frank Flynn, returns to Los Angeles after the four people who know he's alive come under attack. President Logan prepares to sign an important arms treaty with the President of Russia. First Lady Martha Logan is disturbed about the morning's events. Jack learns that he's being framed for the attacks.|
|"8:00am-9:00am"||98||5AFF02||January 15, 2006|
|Jack and Chloe infiltrate Wayne Palmer's penthouse at the hotel in hopes of finding a lead. Martha tries to convince her husband that she had a conversation with Palmer the night before. Cummings' ally — James Nathanson — launches the next phase of his plan at the Ontario Airport.|
|"9:00am-10:00am"||99||5AFF03||January 16, 2006|
|Jack conceals himself in the airport hangar, surveying the Russian separatists and feeding information to Curtis and his assault team. The terrorists continue to execute hostages in an attempt to make President Logan give in to their demands to nullify the treaty. Martha discovers that all the traces of her conversation with David Palmer might not have been erased. Jack surrenders when Derek Huxley's life is put in danger.|
|"10:00am-11:00am"||100||5AFF04||January 16, 2006|
|Jack is captured by the terrorists, who use Derek as leverage to force him to compromise CTU's assault team. Logan refuses to give in to the terrorists' demands. However, the airport incident turns out to be a diversionary cover for an arms deal. Martha continues to try convince her husband that the phone call was real, but Walt interferes. A new representative from Division — Lynn McGill — arrives at CTU and begins to undermine Buchanan's authority.|
|"11:00am-12:00pm"||101||5AFF05||January 23, 2006|
|Jack returns to CTU and has an emotional reunion with Audrey, while Curtis tracks the Russians and the stolen military-grade Sentox nerve gas. Cummings sends in an assassin to silence Jack. Chloe discovers that Spenser Wolff has his own agenda at CTU. Walt convinces Logan to send Martha to be institutionalized when she tells them of the attacks against her.|
|"12:00pm-1:00pm"||102||5AFF06||January 30, 2006|
|Jack meets with Mike Novick in hopes of gathering evidence against Cummings. Martha begs Aaron for help while Walt thinks that he is forcing Logan into aiding him with his complicity with the terrorists. Buchanan butts heads with Lynn over a decision to violate the President's orders, while the Russian separatists attempt to escape with the nerve gas.|
|"1:00pm-2:00pm"||103||5AFF07||February 6, 2006|
|Jack learns of a man named Jacob Rossler, who has links to Ivan Erwich. Charles Logan, Mike Novick and Martha Logan discuss the best way to handle the Walt Cummings situation. Eriwch tries to get the canisters to open. Lynn has personal problems that draw him away from work and Chloe O'Brian fires Spenser.|
|"2:00pm-3:00pm"||104||5AFF08||February 13, 2006|
|Jack poses as Rossler, the programmer, and manages to trace one of the Sentox nerve gas canisters, but he goes against the President's orders when the terrorists target a shopping mall. President Logan and Martha argue when she learns that he intends to cover up the real reason for Walt Cummings's suicide.|
|"3:00pm-4:00pm"||105||5AFF09||February 20, 2006|
|Vladimir Bierko kills Ivan Erwich. Jack obtains a data chip from Nathanson, Cummings' middleman. Chloe finds the name Omicron International on the chip. Lynn figures out that everyone at CTU is working behind his back and has Buchanan taken into custody. Logan decides to give Bierko the route to the Suvarovs' motorcade. Martha jumps in their car at the last moment.|
|"4:00pm-5:00pm"||106||5AFF10||February 27, 2006|
|Jack meets Christopher Henderson at Omicron and almost gets blown up. Audrey convinces Curtis to have Lynn held on the grounds that he is mentally unfit to run CTU. Bierko attacks the Suvarovs, but Aaron Pierce saves them and the First Lady. Bierko and Logan talk for the last time, the former promising retaliation.|
|"5:00pm-6:00pm"||107||5AFF11||March 6, 2006|
|Jack Bauer interrogates Henderson's wife at their home. Lynn tries to get his keycard back from his sister and her boyfriend. Terrorists plan to release the nerve gas in a hospital and Curtis tries to stop them. Tony wakes up and asks about Michelle's fate. Meanwhile the First Lady tries to avoid the President.|
|"6:00pm-7:00pm"||108||5AFF12||March 6, 2006|
|President Logan debates Martial Law with Vice President Hal Gardner. Lynn is aghast upon his sister's death. Jack Bauer has to deal with his daughter's return, a former mentor who has critical information he needs, and a terrorist attack intended to cripple CTU.|
|"7:00pm-8:00pm"||109||5AFF13||March 13, 2006|
|Jack Bauer and the rest of CTU take action to protect the remaining isolated areas and plan escape tactics. Chloe wrestles with her grief over Edgar Stiles' death, while Tony seeks revenge on Henderson. Martha bolsters Logan's judgment as he faces political pressure from Hal Gardner.|
|"8:00pm-9:00pm"||110||5AFF14||March 20, 2006|
|CTU investigates a new lead on Bierko, but finds resistance from German intelligence officer Theo Stoller. Martha Logan is skeptical of the administration's move for a curfew. New Homeland Security officials attempt to change operating protocol involving Chloe O'Brian and Bill Buchanan. Meanwhile, Wayne Palmer has some information he has to get to Aaron Pierce that someone doesn't want getting out.|
|"9:00pm-10:00pm"||111||5AFF15||March 27, 2006|
|Jack is forced to interrogate Audrey Raines when he learned that she might be connected to Bierko and the terrorists. Wayne Palmer and Aaron Pierce flee from armed men who have orders from Christopher Henderson to kill them. Vladimir Bierko and his men execute the next phase of attacks by targeting a gas company and releasing the Sentox gas throughout Los Angeles.|
|"10:00pm-11:00pm"||112||5AFF16||April 3, 2006|
|Audrey goes along with a plan to remove Bill Buchanan from power in order to keep Chloe O'Brian at CTU to assist Jack. Jack teams up with Wayne Palmer to help David Palmer's source in the White House: Martha Logan's aide, Evelyn Martin. Hal Gardner has a run in with Wayne, and Jack suspects the Vice President might be behind the day's events, which was proven to be much worse.|
|"11:00pm-12:00am"||113||5AFF17||April 10, 2006|
|New discoveries regarding the day's horrific events keep Jack Bauer away from CTU, whose agenda is ordered to reprioritize by the White House. Chloe O'Brian and Audrey Raines team together to assist with field operations and the investigation takes an unexpected turn.|
|"12:00am-1:00am"||114||5AFF18||April 17, 2006|
|Although President Charles Logan claims the country is no longer under attack, martial law is still enforced and CTU remains under intense pressure to find the remaining fugitives. Meanwhile, Jack Bauer, Audrey Raines and Secretary of Defense James Heller reunite for a pivotal meeting.|
|"1:00am-2:00am"||115||5AFF19||April 24, 2006|
|While Jack comes closer to obtaining the recording from Christopher Henderson, tensions at the President's retreat escalate as Martha Logan grows more suspicious of her husband. Meanwhile, Heller and Curtis help in the struggle against Henderson. A surprising new ally joins Chloe and Bill as they continue to assist Jack, and a new antagonist is revealed.|
|"2:00am-3:00am"||116||5AFF20||May 1, 2006|
|Although Karen wishes to help Buchanan, he is still taken into CTU to maintain the cover while Chloe escapes. Meanwhile, Jack hijacks a plane in search for the recording that Henderson handed off. At the retreat, Martha grows increasingly unstable, causing further dispute between Logan and Mike. Graem continues to manipulate Logan into taking drastic measures.|
|"3:00am-4:00am"||117||5AFF21||May 8, 2006|
|With Graem's help, Logan decides to launch one final attempt to secure the recording that implicates him in the conspiracy surrounding the day's events. At CTU, several agents begin working with Jack, Chloe, and Buchanan. Tensions continue to rise in Logan's retreat as the President contemplates suicide. Meanwhile, Bierko is transported to another facility, and Miles Papazian attempts to further his career by making a key decision.|
|"4:00am-5:00am"||118||5AFF22||May 15, 2006|
|Jack, Chloe, Bill, and Karen realize that the recording was erased by Miles. However, CTU is soon forced to switch tracks and focus on a new threat: Bierko escaped, and he plans to seize another powerful weapon. With the new threat quickly approaching, Jack must use Christopher Henderson in a delicate sting operation. Meanwhile, the drama at the retreat turns deadly as Aaron Pierce is set to be killed.|
|"5:00am-6:00am"||119||5AFF23||May 22, 2006|
|While Jack and Henderson secure a missile submarine seized by Bierko as Martha and Aaron form an alliance with Mike Novick. Meanwhile, Logan prepares to leave for David Palmer's sendoff, which Jack exploits to his advantage after he settles his other personal vendetta against Henderson.|
|"6:00am-7:00am"||120||5AFF24||May 22, 2006|
|After Bierko and Henderson are killed, Mike, Aaron, Martha, and Jack conspire to kidnap President Logan as part of a plan to secure a confession about the original conspiracy behind the day's events. When Jack's gambit fails, Martha and Chloe initiate a back-up plan to incriminate the President. Meanwhile, Jack's plan to disappear again is put at risk when someone from his past re-enters the picture and changes everything.|
Background information and notes Edit
- Season 5's season finale is the only season finale across the nine days to feature no deaths whatsoever.
See also Edit
| Previous season:|
| First episode:|
| Next season:|
| Preceded by:|
"Season 5 Prequel"
| Followed by:|
"Season 6 Prequel"