- "Jack Bauer's country needs him. Dead."
- — Season 6 promotion
Season 6 of 24 premiered in the United States on January 14, 2007 at 8pm on Fox. The premiere was a 2-night, 4-hour event (January 14 and 15 from 8-10pm). Season 6 debuted in the United Kingdom on Sunday, January 21, 2007 on Sky One.
The Region 4 Season 6 DVD set was released on September 19, 2007. The 24: Season Six DVD Collection was released in the UK on October 1, 2007 24: Season Six was released on DVD in the U.S. and Canada on December 4, 2007.
Season overview Edit
Twenty months have passed since Day 5. After being captured by the Chinese for his involvement in the events of Day 4, Jack Bauer is returned to the United States government a broken, yet honorable, man. To stop a series of devastating attacks on the US, CTU has agreed to hand Jack over to a terrorist mastermind, Abu Fayed, who is bent on revenge. Jack survives and, after a nuclear attack on American soil, vows to retrieve the remainder of the nuclear weapons used in the day's attacks. The White House, meanwhile, suffers from an internal power struggle between President Wayne Palmer and his Vice President Noah Daniels, forcing Palmer's staff to choose sides, which in turn affects CTU and its employees. After eliminating the day's threats, Jack is forced into a personal crusade to save Audrey Raines from those he fears most, and discovers that his family is more involved with the day's events than he ever imagined.
Day 6 begins at 6:00am PST (9:00am EST), taking place 20 months after Day 5 and roughly 9 years, 2 months after Day 1. Wayne mentions that he was inaugurated three months before Day 6, which would place the day somewhere in late April or early May. A scene in Day 7 shows that it takes place on "the second day of November". That sets Inauguration Day in 24: Redemption on August 29. If Wayne Palmer was inaugurated on August 29, this would set Day 6 in late November or early December. In "Chloe's Arrest", Chloe's son's birthday is stated as July 8, supporting a November date for Day 6, where she discovers her pregnancy.
Similar to the earlier seasons, Day 6 can be split into two acts:
- After nearly two years in a Chinese prison, Jack Bauer follows a terrorist trail to locate five nuclear suitcases which will be detonated in Los Angeles. Jack must also uncover the masterminds behind the nuclear plot, including links to his own family, while a conspiracy erupts in the White House. The main antagonists in this act are Abu Fayed, Dmitri Gredenko, Graem Bauer and Phillip Bauer. (6:00am–11:00pm)
- After the nuclear suitcases are recovered, Jack must rescue Audrey from Cheng Zhi. Also, an international incident with Russia arises regarding the nukes. The main antagonists in this act are Phillip Bauer and Cheng Zhi. (11:00pm–6:00am)
Major subplots Edit
- Jack struggles to readjust to his old life following his imprisonment.
- Many characters are confronted by discrimination against Americans of Middle Eastern origin.
- Jack discovers his family's involvement in not only the brokering of the suitcase nukes, but the murders of his friends David Palmer, Tony Almeida, and Michelle Dessler during Day 5.
- Many of President Palmer's policies are questioned, particularly by his White House Chief of Staff Tom Lennox.
- A mysterious newcomer to CTU, Mike Doyle, faces criticism for his past and present actions, yet sometimes appears more informed and compassionate than expected.
- Jack must go against everything and everybody he knows in order to save one of the people who means the most to him.
- The day's stress on major characters' relationships—in particular Karen Hayes and Bill Buchanan, Chloe O'Brian and Morris O'Brian, and Nadia Yassir, Milo Pressman and Mike Doyle.
- The Bauer family is put to the ultimate test as an endgame is put into play involving Jack's nephew Josh, his father Phillip and the Chinese government.
- An attack on CTU, leading to the impeding of the investigation and the killing of several CTU agents.
- The White House learns that there is a spy in their midst, feeding information to the Russians.
- The events of the day lead to a brewing international incident with Russia, as President Yuri Suvarov threatens a military response if the U.S. cannot avert the incident.
Season 6's two-night premiere garnered the highest ratings in 24 history, averaging 15.7 million viewers and an overall 33 million viewers over the two nights. Ratings peaked at one point to 16.3 million. Compared to Season 5, however, 24 fell in rank from 24 to 27 (of 142 shows) in the 2006-2007 Nielsen TV season and averaged approximately 13 million viewers per week. In the key age 18-49 demographic, 24 ranked #14 (compared to #15 the previous year) with an average of 5.0/12 (a significant drop from last season's 5.7/13).
Season 6 was nominated for a total of six 2007 Emmy awards, including Kiefer Sutherland for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series and Jean Smart for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series. However, the series was not nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, a first in its history.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer (24 episodes)
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe O'Brian (24 episodes)
- DB Woodside as President Wayne Palmer (17 episodes)
- James Morrison as Bill Buchanan (21 episodes)
- Peter MacNicol as Tom Lennox (24 episodes)
- Jayne Atkinson as Karen Hayes (18 episodes)
- Carlo Rota as Morris O'Brian (24 episodes)
- Eric Balfour as Milo Pressman (19 episodes)
- Marisol Nichols as Nadia Yassir (24 episodes)
- and Regina King as Sandra Palmer (9 episodes)
- Powers Boothe as Vice President Noah Daniels (14 episodes)
- William Devane as James Heller (2 episodes)
- with Jean Smart as Martha Logan (1 episode)
- and James Cromwell as Phillip Bauer (8 episodes)
- and Kim Raver as Audrey Raines (5 episodes)
- and Gregory Itzin as Charles Logan (4 episodes)
Guest starring Edit
- Adoni Maropis as Abu Fayed (16 episodes)
- Rena Sofer as Marilyn Bauer (12 episodes)
- Evan Ellingson as Josh Bauer (10 episodes)
- Kari Matchett as Lisa Miller (10 episodes)
- Tzi Ma as Cheng Zhi (9 episodes)
- Chad Lowe as Reed Pollock (8 episodes)
- Rade Šerbedžija as Dmitri Gredenko (8 episodes)
- Alexander Siddig as Hamri Al-Assad (7 episodes)
- Jim Holmes as Dr. Arthur Welton (6 episodes)
- Nick Jameson as Russian President Yuri Suvarov (6 episodes)
- Harry Lennix as Walid Al-Rezani (6 episodes)
- Ryan Cutrona as Admiral John Smith (5 episodes)
- Michael Angarano as Scott Wallace (4 episodes)
- Missy Crider as Rita Brady (4 episodes)
- Roger Cross as Curtis Manning (4 episodes)
- James C. Victor as Hal Turner (4 episodes)
- Megan Gallagher as Jillian Wallace (4 episodes)
- David Hunt as Darren McCarthy (4 episodes)
- Jamison Jones as Secret Service Head Dan (4 episodes)
- Kal Penn as Ahmed Amar (4 episodes)
- Raphael Sbarge as Ray Wallace (4 episodes)
- Scott William Winters as FBI Agent Samuels (4 episodes)
- Bob Gunton as Secretary of Defense Ethan Kanin (3 episodes)
- Michael Shanks as Mark Bishop (3 episode)
- Paul McCrane as Graem Bauer (3 episodes)
- John Noble as Anatoly Markov (2 episode)
- Kathleen Gati as Anya Suvarov (1 episode)
- Glenn Morshower as Aaron Pierce (1 episode)
- and Ricky Schroder as Mike Doyle (12 episodes)
Season 6 entered preproduction on June 19, 2006. It premiered in the United States beginning with a four-hour block across two nights on January 14 and 15, 2007. Subsequent episodes aired Monday nights at 9pm on Fox in the United States (two episodes were aired consecutively on February 12), and the season finale aired 2 straight episodes to finish off the season. The show on Sunday nights at 9pm in the UK. The season did not start screening until October 28 in New Zealand, starting at 10:25 pm for two hours weekly.
|Picture||Title||Number||Production Code||Original Airdate|
|Season 6 Prequel||Season 5 DVD|
|Seven months after Day 5, Jack Bauer is being tortured by Cheng Zhi on a daily basis but has not broken. However, he is tricked into giving up the identity of an American spy. Then Day 6 Begins.|
|"6:00am-7:00am"||121||6AFF01||January 14, 2007|
|Twenty months after Jack Bauer's capture by the Chinese, terrorist attacks rock America. Jack returns in a deal made by President Wayne Palmer. Jack is handed over to Abu Fayed, who will in turn give the location of the man responsible for the attacks; Hamri Al-Assad. Meanwhile, Karen Hayes and Tom Lennox argue over proposed security measures that could suspend the rights of Muslim Americans.|
|"7:00am-8:00am"||122||6AFF02||January 14, 2007|
|Jack finds out that Abu Fayed, not Assad, is behind the attacks, and manages to escape. Jack teams up with Assad to stop a suicide bomber on a subway. FBI agents search the Islamic-American Alliance offices in D.C. under dubious pretenses, to the chagrin of Sandra Palmer. Ahmed Amar implements Abu Fayed's plan in the suburbs.|
|"8:00am-9:00am"||123||6AFF03||January 15, 2007|
|Jack and Hamri Al-Assad track one of Fayed's men. Ahmed Amar holds a family hostage and orders the father to deliver a package to Abu Fayed. CTU discovers a wiring schematic for a nuclear device on a terrorist's laptop and learns of an elaborate plan to free a terrorist weapons programmer from the Palmdale Military Facility.|
|"9:00am-10:00am"||124||6AFF04||January 15, 2007|
|After CTU stops Ahmed Amar from killing the hostage held family and Jack Bauer races to find Abu Fayed before he is able to detonate a suitcase nuke. Jack must make a difficult choice between Assad and Curtis Manning. The President's sister makes calls her brother on behalf of Rezani, while Wayne Palmer faces the toughest hour of his Presidency, as a nuclear device detonates in Valencia.|
|"10:00am-11:00am"||125||6AFF05||January 22, 2007|
|Through Assad's intel, Jack learns of a connection between his father Phillip Bauer and the nuke supplier. Jack contacts his brother, Graem, and demands information. As Abu Fayed searches for triggers for his nukes, IAA director Walid al-Rezani spies on suspicious detention camp inmates.|
|"11:00am-12:00pm"||126||6AFF06||January 29, 2007|
|Graem reveals a connection between his company and Darren McCarthy, who brokered the nukes to Fayed. Graem's motives are made clearer when he and Jack find their father. Security measures put in place by Tom Lennox put pressure on the Arab members of CTU. Karen Hayes is blackmailed into resigning by Tom Lennox.|
|"12:00pm-1:00pm"||127||6AFF07||February 5, 2007|
|Jack Bauer and Phillip Bauer head to Graem's house to interrogate him. Graem reveals his involvement in the assassination of David Palmer. Wayne Palmer refuses Tom Lennox's controversial plans to deny freedoms to Muslim-Americans. Darren McCarthy kidnaps Morris O'Brian and demands he arm the suitcase nukes.|
|"1:00pm-2:00pm"||128||6AFF08||February 12, 2007|
|Jack learns that Graem died as a result of his interrogation. Morris is brought to Fayed. Jack rescues Morris, but not before he is forced into programming the trigger. Fayed escapes with three suitcase nukes, which he is now capable of detonating. Tom Lennox contemplates resigning, when Reed Pollock brings an offer to the table.|
|"2:00pm-3:00pm"||129||6AFF09||February 12, 2007|
|Morris is brought back to CTU with Jack. Abu Fayed contacts Dmitri Gredenko, a Cold War General, who is in L.A. and has been planning the day's events. Assad begins work on a statement to address his people in Washington, D.C. Marilyn is coerced into leading Jack into a trap by Phillip, who has taken Josh Bauer hostage.|
|"3:00pm-4:00pm"||130||6AFF10||February 19, 2007|
|Jack and Marilyn use one of Phillip's men to find out where he and Josh are. Returning to work puts unwanted pressure on Morris, especially after he hears of Milo's heroism in saving Marilyn. The President prepares Assad's speech, unaware of conspiracy brewing within his own cabinet, and Jack is forced to turn to an unlikely source for help.|
|"4:00pm-5:00pm"||131||6AFF11||February 26, 2007|
|Jack meets with Charles Logan to gain information about the whereabouts of Gredenko, who continues with preparations to set off the remaining nukes. Tensions within the White House Bunker come to a boil just as President Palmer and Assad are about to address the nation, and CTU deals with the fallout from one of their employee's experiences earlier in the day.|
|"5:00pm-6:00pm"||132||6AFF12||March 5, 2007|
|Noah Daniels assumes presidential duties from the wounded Wayne Palmer. Tom Lennox turns Reed Pollock in for attempting to assassinate Palmer. Jack, with the help of Logan, extracts Gredenko's plot from Markov, but is unable to pass it to CTU.|
|"6:00pm-7:00pm"||133||6AFF13||March 12, 2007|
|Jack Bauer escapes the Russian consulate with the help of CTU led by the new head of field operations; Mike Doyle. Charles Logan and Martha Logan are reunited, which ends in tragedy. Noah Daniels puts pressure on Tom Lennox to frame Hamri Al-Assad for the attempt on Wayne Palmer's life.|
|"7:00pm-8:00pm"||134||6AFF14||March 19, 2007|
|Jack Bauer learns that Audrey Raines followed him to China and is now dead. CTU is lead to believe that there is a mole and Nadia Yassir is the prime suspect. Dmitri Gredenko and Abu Fayed launch the first nuclear drone. Even though CTU successfully subverts the bomb's detonation, Vice President Noah Daniels goes forth with a nuclear retaliatory strike against Fayed's home country.|
|"8:00pm-9:00pm"||135||6AFF15||March 26, 2007|
|Jack, through CTU intel, finds and captures Gredenko, who negotiates a deal with CTU. To thwart the Vice President's plans to bomb Fayed's country, Karen Hayes and Sandra Palmer awaken President Palmer from his chemically-induced coma in hopes that he will rescind the order to strike before the missile launches.|
|"9:00pm-10:00pm"||136||6AFF16||April 2, 2007|
|Vice President Daniels challenges President Wayne Palmer for the presidency. Overhearing that Vice President Daniels is willing to commit perjury, Tom Lennox blackmails Daniels into dropping out, letting President Wayne Palmer continue his duties. Gredenko reluctantly helps CTU capture Fayed and later dies from his injuries just when President Palmer makes a shocking decision concerning the nuclear strike against Fayed's country.|
|"10:00pm-11:00pm"||137||6AFF17||April 9, 2007|
|The threat of a missile strike is revealed to be a ruse in order for the Ambassador to reveal intelligence regarding a high-ranking official inside Fayed's country who is involved. Jack and Mike Doyle devise an elaborate sting operation to trick Fayed into helping CTU get closer to the two remaining suitcase nukes. However not all goes to plan and Jack takes it upon himself to recover the suitcase nukes and kill Fayed just when he receives a disturbing phone call.|
|"11:00pm-12:00am"||138||6AFF18||April 16, 2007|
|President Palmer collapses at a press conference, making Vice President Daniels acting president. Against the orders of Vice President Daniels, Jack ditches his partner Mike Doyle and proceeds alone to negotiate with Cheng Zhi, who is willing to trade his hostage Audrey Raines (who was thought to be deceased for months prior) for an FB subcircuit board from one of the nukes, giving access to Russian defense systems.|
|"12:00am-1:00am"||139||6AFF19||April 23, 2007|
|Noah Daniels and his assistant Lisa Miller engage in a seemingly-consensual, oval-office romance. Karen Hayes is forced to choose between her job and Bill's. Cheng meets up with Jack Bauer for the exchange, but is intercepted by CTU, resulting in Cheng escaping with the component. While being arrested by CTU, Jack realizes that Audrey, though free, was not returned unharmed.|
|"1:00am-2:00am"||140||6AFF20||April 30, 2007|
|The Russians learn too quickly that the Chinese have the circuit board, leading Noah Daniels to suspect a spy. After some investigation, Daniels and Lennox plot to pass misinformation to the Russians through this unsuspecting informant. Nadia struggles with her newfound leadership at CTU when Division and Jack argue on how to handle the traumatized Audrey Raines. Cheng discovers the circuit board is damaged.|
|"2:00am-3:00am"||141||6AFF21||May 7, 2007|
|Lisa Miller complies with Daniels' plan to pass false intel through the Russian informant. CTU sends all their field agents to locate Cheng Zhi, not knowing that Cheng has already dispatched Chinese mercenaries to infiltrate CTU and capture Josh Bauer and killing Milo Pressman in the processs. It is revealed that Phillip Bauer is the mastermind behind the attack on CTU.|
|"3:00am-4:00am"||142||6AFF22||May 14, 2007|
|CTU recovers from the attack and Jack pursues Cheng and recovers Josh. Meanwhile, Lisa Miller spying on the Russian informant backfires and Russian President Yuri Suvarov threatens to attack a US military base in two hours. Claiming that he no longer works for Cheng, Phillip Bauer calls the White House and says that he will trade the sub circuit board for Josh Bauer.|
|"4:00am-5:00am"||143||6AFF23||May 21, 2007|
|Jack seeks Bill's help to retrieve Josh. Phillip's men obtain Josh without living up to their end of the bargain. The situation at the White House becomes increasingly tense as Karen Hayes is arrested for covertly helping Jack and Bill, and Milo's brother reveals to Nadia just how much Milo cared for her. Meanwhile, Chloe mysteriously passes out at CTU.|
|"5:00am-6:00am"||144||6AFF24||May 21, 2007|
|Realizing that an airstrike, ordered by Vice President Daniels, will destroy the oil rig and Josh, Jack and Bill race against time to rescue Josh, capture Cheng and leave an injured Phillip behind as the F-18’s destroy the rig and the sub circuit board. Bill and Karen are asked to resign without charges Chloe and Morris discover they are going to be parents. Meanwhile, Jack bids a tearful farewell to Audrey Raines.|
|Day 6 Debrief||May 21 - June 18, 2007|
|Fifteen hours later, Jack Bauer is taken to District to debrief The White House on the events of the day—or so he is told. Jack is instead questioned for giving information to the Chinese while he was in a Chinese prison.|
See also Edit
| Previous season:|
| First episode:|
| Next season:|
| Preceded by:|
"Season 6 Prequel"
| Followed by:|
Day 6 Debrief