- "Trust one."
- — Season 7 promotion
Season 7 of 24 premiered in the United States on January 11, 2009 at 8pm on Fox, two years after the previous season began. The premiere was a 2-night, 4-hour event (January 11 and 12 from 8-10pm on FOX/Global). In the UK, the show premiered with two episodes on January 12, with another two the following week. Every subsequent week had one episode, therefore placing the UK airing exactly one week behind the US.
Season overview Edit
Nearly four years have passed since Abu Fayed's reign of terror, and Jack Bauer is on trial in Washington DC for his supposed past crimes. Jack's day takes an unexpected turn when Tony Almeida, previously thought dead, returns. Meanwhile, newly elected President Allison Taylor leads the country through difficult times alongside White House Chief of Staff Ethan Kanin and First Gentleman Henry Taylor.
A national security crisis prompts an investigation by a team of FBI agents from the Washington Field Office including Janis Gold, Renee Walker, Larry Moss and Sean Hillinger. Despite the disbandment of the Counter Terrorist Unit, Chloe O'Brian and Bill Buchanan continue working, albeit underground, to help the day's efforts. Jack Bauer works with the FBI.
24: Redemption Edit
Taking place about 44 months after Day 6, 24: Redemption details the Inauguration Day of President Allison Taylor. Meanwhile, in Sangala, Africa, Jack Bauer is subpoenaed to appear before a Senate hearing regarding his actions with the Counter Terrorist Unit, but doesn't want to go. He ends up in the middle of a military coup while working at the Okavango School with friend Carl Benton.
Season 7 begins on November 2nd 2007, which is shown on the immunity agreement for Greg Seaton signed by President Taylor during the 11:00 PM to 12:00 midnight episode; the year can be derived from the last sentence on the agreement (1776+231).
A news broadcast in "Day 7: 8:00am-9:00am" confirms that Season 7 takes place 65 days after the events of 24: Redemption. Supposing that Inauguration Day took place on January 20th as it does in the real world, this would place Day 7 on or around March 26th. However, the prion variant cabal planned to keep the canister of the bioweapon for six months to replicate it, and Tim Woods said that would mean the attacks would be "early next year" suggesting that Season 7 takes place during or after July.
When President Taylor signs Greg Seaton's presidential pardon, the "second day of November" is mentioned. That would put Inauguration Day on August 29th, setting Day 7 at 13 years and 2 months after Day 1, if Day 6 took place in November.
Day 7 can be split into four acts:
- Jack Bauer is drawn back into counter-terrorism at the FBI's request when a threat is raised involving Tony Almeida, his supposedly dead former ally. The mastermind behind the threat is Sangalan rebel commander Iké Dubaku, demanding a pullback of US Troops from Sangala and the surrender of Sangalan president Ule Matobo, using terrorist attacks he can pull off with a CIP device (and later kidnapped First Gentleman Henry Taylor) as leverage. The main antagonists in this act are Colonel Iké Dubaku, Nichols, David Emerson, Brian Gedge, Edward Vossler and Sean Hillinger. (8:00am–6:00pm)
- Once Dubaku has been captured and the conspiracy revealed, Jack then follows a lead from Tony to thwart an attempted siege on the White House by Juma's unit targeting President Allison Taylor. The main antagonists in this act are General Benjamin Juma, Udo, Ngozi and Ryan Burnett. (6:00pm–8:15pm)
- After Juma's neutralization, another threat rises in the form of private military company Starkwood, who have possession of several canisters of a lethal pathogen which Jack becomes non-contagiously infected by. The main antagonists of this act are Starkwood members Jonas Hodges and Greg Seaton, and mercenaries John Quinn and Stokes. (8:15pm–1:45am).
- Tony betrays Jack/the FBI by stealing the final remaining canister of the pathogen for his crew. Jack finally learns the truth about the day's events from Tony, as the effects of his infection begin to take hold. The main antagonists in this act are Tony Almeida, Cara Bowden and Alan Wilson. (1:45am–8:00am)
Major subplots Edit
- Jack Bauer faces trial by United States Senate for human rights violations while working for CTU.
- President Allison Taylor must decide whether or not to send American soldiers into the African nation of Sangala.
- The return of ex-CTU agent Tony Almeida, who appears to be working with the terrorists.
- Henry Taylor's investigation into the apparent suicide of his son, Roger.
- Bill Buchanan, Chloe O'Brian and Tony Almeida's undercover operations to bring down the corrupt members of Taylor's government.
- A bio-weapon is brought into the country and the FBI and White House actively attempt to recover the toxin.
- FBI Agent Renee Walker's internal conflicts about the rules and constraints she swore to abide by for the FBI and the necessity of torture to stop a terrorist.
- The infection of Jack Bauer with the lethal pathogen which, as there is no cure, will lead to his death within a day or two.
- Olivia Taylor's complicity in the murder of Jonas Hodges.
- Tony Almeida's loyalties, which fluctuate between patriotism, the terrorists and his own personal agenda on several occasions.
- Kim Bauer's attempts to find her father after hearing about his trial and her subsequent efforts to save him from his imminent death.
Impacts on future seasons Edit
- The revelation that CTU has been disbanded. This caused Jack to move to Washington DC.
- President Allison Taylor is now the POTUS.
- The introductions of FBI agent and Jack's new partner Renee Walker, Sec-Def Ethan Kanin, Kim Bauer's husband and daughter (the latter of whom Jack is unaware of), and Homeland Security head Tim Woods.
- Renee's decision to torture Alan Wilson in the immediate aftermath of the day caused her to leave the FBI inbetween Days 7 and 8.
- The death of Bill Buchanan.
- Chloe O'Brian now works freelance, and is living with her husband and son.
The season premiere shown on Sunday ("8:00am-9:00am" and "9:00am-10:00am") averaged 12.6 million viewers; the following night ("10:00am-11:00am" and "11:00am-12:00pm") brought in 12.3 million viewers. Ratings remained at this level until "3:00pm-4:00pm," when they dipped to 10.5 million viewers. There was a steady increase after this, culminating in 11.6 million viewers for "5:00pm-6:00pm."
Ratings remained the same throughout the rest of the season, but increased by 6 million for the double bill finale. When 7:00am-8:00am was airing over 20 million people were watching.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer (24 episodes)
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe O'Brian (13 episodes)
- Cherry Jones as President Allison Taylor (23 episodes)
- James Morrison as Bill Buchanan (10 episodes)
- Annie Wersching as Renee Walker (24 episodes)
- Colm Feore as First Gentleman Henry Taylor (12 episodes)
- Bob Gunton as Ethan Kanin (18 episodes)
- Jeffrey Nordling as Larry Moss (19 episodes)
- Rhys Coiro as Sean Hillinger (10 episodes)
- with Janeane Garofalo as Janis Gold (21 episodes)
- and Carlos Bernard as Tony Almeida (20 episodes)
Guest starring Edit
- Frank John Hughes as Tim Woods (16 episodes)
- Sprague Grayden as Olivia Taylor (14 episodes)
- Glenn Morshower as Aaron Pierce (10 episodes)
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim as Colonel Iké Dubaku (9 episodes)
- Rory Cochrane as Greg Seaton (7 episodes)
- Warren Kole as Brian Gedge (7 episodes)
- Ryan Cutrona as Admiral John Smith (6 episodes)
- Isaach De Bankole as Ule Matobo (6 episodes)
- Amy Price-Francis as Cara Bowden (6 episodes)
- Christina Chang as Dr. Sunny Macer (5 episodes)
- Carly Pope as Samantha Roth (5 episodes)
- Peter Wingfield as David Emerson (5 episodes)
- Ever Carradine as Erika (5 episodes)
- Gabriel Casseus as Robert Galvez (4 episodes)
- Mark Kiely as Edward Vossler (4 episodes)
- Enuka Okuma as Marika Donoso (4 episodes)
- Omid Abtahi as Jibraan Al-Zarian (3 episodes)
- John Billingsley as Michael Latham (3 episodes)
- Ravi Kapoor as Muhtadi Gohar (3 episodes)
- Carlo Rota as Morris O'Brian (3 episodes)
- Tony Todd as General Benjamin Juma (3 episodes)
- Paul Wesley as Stephen (2 episodes)
- and Will Patton as Alan Wilson (5 episodes)
As stated by James Morrison in an interview with TV Guide, 95% of the crew is the same as from Season 1, meaning that there is constantly a good atmosphere on the set of the show. Main crew including Jon Cassar, Howard Gordon, Robert Cochran, Evan Katz, Manny Coto and others stayed on. Joel Surnow, the co-creator of the show, left during the Writer's Strike, which meant that he was not involved in the show's production after the first eight episodes. Joining the writing staff was Brannon Braga, Alex Gansa, and Juan Carlos Coto, and guest director of Season 6 Milan Cheylov returned and directed a four episode stint (although two were before the Strike and two after).
- Read more about the Season 7 production staff...
Season 7 was delayed for over a year due to the 2007-8 Writer's Guild of America strike. Fox decided to hold out from airing the few episodes of the season that had been made so that all 24 episodes could be shown non-stop. As a result, it was decided that a prologue should be made to keep viewer interest at a high, and to allow Jack Bauer to explore new surroundings: Africa.
The following episodes were broadcast as back-to-back as two-hour episodes:
- Episodes 1 and 2, "8:00am-9:00am" and "9:00am-10:00am," on January 11, 2009.
- Episodes 3 and 4, "10:00am-11:00am" and "11:00am-12:00pm," on January 12, 2009.
- Episodes 11 and 12, "6:00pm-7:00pm" and "7:00pm-8:00pm," on March 2, 2009.
- Episodes 23 and 24, "6:00am-7:00am" and "7:00am-8:00am," on May 18, 2009.
|Picture||Title||Number||Production Code||Original Airdate|
|24: Redemption||-||7AFF50||November 23, 2008|
|In Sangala, Africa, Jack Bauer finds himself caught up in a military coup whilst trying to find somewhere he can 'be at peace'. Meanwhile, in the United States, it is Inauguration Day, where Allison Taylor is being sworn in to office.|
|"8:00am-9:00am"||145||7AFF01||January 11, 2009|
|Three years and ten months after Day 6, President Allison Taylor prepares for a military action to end the genocide occurring in Sangala under dictator Benjamin Juma. Jack Bauer is appearing before a Senate committee to answer for CTU's human rights violations and his own torture of Ibrahim Haddad. However, he is removed from the questioning by FBI agent Renee Walker and her partner with a more urgent subpoena. Jack learns that his old friend, and former CTU agent, Tony Almeida is still alive and now engaged in criminal activity.|
|"9:00am-10:00am"||146||7AFF02||January 11, 2009|
|Using a CIP module constructed by the abducted Michael Latham, Tony gives a demonstration of the potential destruction in the device he now controls. Henry Taylor pays a visit to Samantha Roth to question her about his son Roger's death. Jack and Renee pursue one of Tony's men and confront Almeida himself, face-to-face.|
|"10:00am-11:00am"||147||7AFF03||January 12, 2009|
|An unexpected development during Tony's interrogation leads Jack to some familiar faces and the surprising discovery that CTU is not entirely gone. With the CIP module and Latham in hand, Colonel Iké Dubaku delivers an ultimatum to the United States government. Renee asks Janis Gold to investigate the FBI leak.|
|"11:00am-12:00pm"||148||7AFF04||January 12, 2009|
|Tony regains his cover and brings Jack into Emerson's fold as well, just in time for their next assignment: the kidnapping of Sangalan Prime Minister Ule Matobo. Henry Taylor learns from a distraught Samantha Roth that his son was murdered to cover up a conspiracy linking Taylor's administration to the Dubaku threat.|
|"12:00pm-1:00pm"||149||7AFF05||January 19, 2009|
|When threatening the Prime Minister's security guard doesn't work, Jack uses the ventilation system to smoke the couple out of their safe room. Henry Taylor discovers that his primary Secret Service guard is involved with the conspiracy. Renee gets captured while searching for Bauer and Emerson orders Jack to kill and bury her.|
|"1:00pm-2:00pm"||150||7AFF06||January 26, 2009|
|Chloe and Bill rescue Renee while Jack and Tony are ambushed by Emerson. President Taylor witnesses Dubaku's next attack. Gedge continues carrying out his plan when Samantha Roth arrives at her apartment.|
|"2:00pm-3:00pm"||151||7AFF07||February 2, 2009|
|Janis Gold assists the manager of a pesticide plant in Kidron, Ohio, the target of Dubaku's next attack. Bill, Tony, Jack, Chloe and Renee work together to take out Dubaku's operation headquarters and destroy the CIP device. President Taylor is informed that her husband has gone missing.|
|"3:00pm-4:00pm"||152||7AFF08||February 9, 2009|
|As Henry Taylor falls into Dubaku's hands, Jack, Renee, and Bill meet directly with the President. Renee and Jack bring Larry Moss into their operation, as they use Edward Vossler and his family to try to rescue the First Gentleman and capture Dubaku.|
|"4:00pm-5:00pm"||153||7AFF09||February 16, 2009|
|Shot in the chest, Henry Taylor fights for his life at West Arlington Hospital, forcing President Taylor to reach out to her estranged daughter. Jack, Renee, and Chloe attempt to use Dubaku's girlfriend to apprehend him before he leaves the country, but their efforts are thwarted by a corrupt agent working within the FBI itself.|
|"5:00pm-6:00pm"||154||7AFF10||February 23, 2009|
|Iké Dubaku is captured, but at a tragic cost. His cover nearly blown, Sean Hillinger takes drastic steps to hide his involvement in the day's events. As Jack reflects on the trials of the last few hours, Tony Almeida returns with some ominous news.|
|"6:00pm-7:00pm"||155||7AFF11||March 2, 2009|
|Under the pretense of a meeting with Senator Mayer, Jack brings the fight directly to the White House, seeking information from Ryan Burnett, Mayer's Senatorial Chief of Staff, on General Juma's plan of attack. When Iké Dubaku is killed in the hospital, Renee tracks the perpetrator to Juma's base of operations and makes a disturbing discovery.|
|"7:00pm-8:00pm"||156||7AFF12||March 2, 2009|
|General Juma's team storms the White House. Jack, Bill, and Aaron manage to escort the President to safety, but Vice President Hayworth is reluctant to launch a rescue operation. To force President Taylor out of hiding, Juma seeks the help of an outside collaborator.|
|"8:00pm-9:00pm"||157||7AFF13||March 9, 2009|
|As Juma's men prepare the President for her "statement," Bill makes a heroic sacrifice to save her and the other hostages. Honoring his friend's last wishes, Jack resolves to continue his "conversation" with Ryan Burnett, even while an assassin prepares to silence Burnett for good. In the aftermath of the attack, Olivia accepts her mother's request for aid, and delivers a warning to Ethan Kanin.|
|"9:00pm-10:00pm"||158||7AFF14||March 16, 2009|
|With the help of an unlikely ally, Jack begins to piece together the connection between the Sangalan terrorism and Starkwood. After some damaging information is leaked to the media, Ethan Kanin suspects Olivia's involvement. At FBI headquarters, Morris O'Brian, with his wife still in holding, is forced to make a difficult decision.|
|"10:00pm-11:00pm"||159||7AFF15||March 23, 2009|
|Jack and Tony butt heads and endanger a civilian while they try to secure Hodges' bio-weapon at the Port of Alexandria. Ethan makes a decision about his political future, while Olivia Taylor seeks to take advantage of his choice by setting him up for a fall. Larry Moss continues on Jack's trail, but realizes that he may be doing more harm than good.|
|"11:00pm-12:00am"||160||7AFF16||March 30, 2009|
|Exposed to Starkwood's pathogen, Jack is examined by agents from the CDC and receives a grim prognosis. At the Starkwood compound, Tony escapes from enemy hands and enlists the aid of Jonas Hodges' assistant to put a stop to the bio-threat.|
|"12:00am-1:00am"||161||7AFF17||April 6, 2009|
|Olivia Taylor, now the provisional White House Chief of Staff, faces blackmail from a member of the press. Larry Moss is forced to withdraw his team after a standoff with the Starkwood mercenaries, leaving Tony behind to infiltrate the base and locate the bio-weapon. An air strike on the compound is aborted after Jonas Hodges calls the White House directly to deliver an ultimatum.|
|"1:00am-2:00am"||162||7AFF18||April 13, 2009|
|Tony destroys the canisters. With his leverage gone, Jonas Hodges is taken into custody at the White House. Jack reconciles with his daughter, Kim, but refuses to agree to a possible treatment for his condition that might put her at risk. Larry pursues a rogue Starkwood operative by chopper, but is met with a stunning betrayal.|
|"2:00am-3:00am"||163||7AFF19||April 20, 2009|
|After hearing the news of Larry Moss' death, Renee and Jack head out to the field, not knowing that a traitor is in their midst. President Allison Taylor considers a pardon for Jonas Hodges, despite Olivia's objections. Kim prepares to return home to her daughter, Teri.|
|"3:00am-4:00am"||164||7AFF20||April 27, 2009|
|Tony reconnects with his superiors as they debate their next course of action. With the bio-weapon still at large, Jack confronts Jonas Hodges after his failed suicide attempt and attempts to barter information in exchange for protection from his associates.|
|"4:00am-5:00am"||165||7AFF21||May 4, 2009|
|Jonas Hodges prepares to enter witness protection, even as Olivia Taylor sets in motion a plan to eliminate him. Jack and Renee attempt to track down Jibraan Al-Zarian, the innocent man whom Tony plans to set up as a scapegoat for an impending terrorist attack.|
|"5:00am-6:00am"||166||7AFF22||May 11, 2009|
|Kim Bauer arrives at the airport to return home to Los Angeles, but grows worried that she may not be safe. The FBI races to prevent Tony Almeida and Cara Bowden's attack on the DC subway system, while at the White House, Olivia Taylor desperately tries to cover her tracks after the Justice Department begins an investigation into Jonas Hodges' murder.|
|"6:00am-7:00am"||167||7AFF23||May 18, 2009|
|Jack helps Tony escape from custody, only to find Tony plans to use his organs to reconstitute the virus. Aaron Pierce and Ethan Kanin work together and discover Olivia's role in Hodges' murder. Kim Bauer takes down her captors, and works with Renee Walker to find her father.|
|"7:00am-8:00am"||168||7AFF24||May 18, 2009|
|Presented with the evidence of Olivia's actions, President Allison Taylor is forced to make a decision between her family and the Presidency. Thanks to Kim Bauer, Janis, Renee and Chloe are able to save Jack and arrest Tony before he can kill Alan Wilson. With Wilson refusing to talk and Jack about to die, the fight is no longer in the field, it's for the hearts and souls of Jack and Renee.|
See also Edit
- Day 7 antagonists
- Unnamed Day 7 characters
- DVD collections: Region 1, Region 2, Region 4
- Blu-ray collections: Region A, Region B
| Previous season:|
| First episode:|
| Next season:|
| Preceded by:|
| Followed by:|